To encourage your adding National Tie One On Day™ to your holiday tradition and embracing its message of sharing and gratefulness, a dedicated group of sponsors are putting some fabulous “give” into the NTOODay 2011 Goodie Giveaway!
I’ve been reading the comments of those entering the National Tie One On Day Goodie Giveaway and each is so very personal and inspirational. Especially touching are those whose own bounty may be stretched thinner this year, yet they will give of what they have to another with less. Such is the true spirit of Thanksgiving!
My own NTOODay offerings are stacked in the freezer, awaiting delivery next week. Time still to fiddle with the packaging aspect.
Last year, I wrapped each mini loaf first in plastic, then with a vintage hankie and lastly, a hotpad. I used the downloadable notecard for a personalized message, packed the kaboodle into an old lunch box and made the rounds.
This year, I’m going with sturdy brown lunch bags as more suitable packaging for the Cherry Pumpkin Bread and carton of soup.
I added this particular soup after making it for my family – it’s not an expensive recipe and really “sticks-to-your-ribs.” Many of my recipients are into their Golden Years and without their partners. I wanted to provide them with just a bit more fare this year, and this delicious soup should do it!
- 3 cups dried beans
- 2 boxes (32 oz) chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 T chile powder
- salt & pepper
- 4-6 links beef/turkey/applewood chicken
In a large pot, cover beans in cold water (with 3-5″ to spare) and soak overnight. Drain. Rinse.
Heat 2-3 T olive oil in the pot & saute onions until softened.
Add beans, tomatoes, broth and chile pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce to simmer. Cook until beans are tender (1-2 hours).
Ladle 1/2 the beans into a blender and pulse until puréed. Pour back into the pot.
Add cut up meat (beef /turkey /applewood chicken /hot links) to the soup. Cover & simmer for 1+ hours. Taste before adding salt & pepper.
Cool. Pour into individual containers & freeze.
The National Tie One On Day Goodie Giveaway sponsors are generously providing an array of giveaways, which I’m highlighting throughout the NTOODay™ campaign.
- American Sewing Guild is a membership organization that welcomes sewing enthusiasts of all skill levels. With a mission of Advancing Sewing as an Art and Life Skill, ASG has over 20,000 enthusiastic members in 138 chapters throughout the USA. ASG proudly offers this Goodie Giveaway- a canvas tote
produced by the Malika Mums (mothers of disabled children). Featuring the ASG logo on one side and “this is not a plastic bag” in Swahili on the other, the bags enable mothers to provide for their families – it’s ASG’s “sewing as a life skill” mission statement in action!
- Double D Ranch is the inspiration of four regular girls from Yoakum, building on their hard working Texas roots and a childhood spent in the Southwest. They don’t care how things are done in New York. They’ve managed to build a fashion and furnishing company deep in the heart of Texas and they wouldn’t have it any other way. For two lucky winners, Double D Ranch is providing this gorgeous bag,
- Judi Ketteler is a widely published writer who loves working with creative, inspired entrepreneurs — helping them to write the web sites and marketing materials that grow their businesses. A craft veteran passionate about sewing, women’s history, and vintage bargain-hunting, she is providing the two winners with personalized copies of her book: Sew Retro: A Stylish History of the Sewing Revolution + 25 Vintage-Inspired Projects for the Modern Girl!
National Tie One On Day™ is a win-win, for participant and receiver. Thank you for helping to spread the word and making someone’s day a little brighter.
Tie One On…an apron, of course!